Monday, April 20, 2015

A Baseball Season Read and a recipe


Baseball is Back!

My Life in the Minor Leagues by Kenny Beck

"What I’m about to tell you isn’t a typical baseball story. I don’t limp off the bench and hit a game-winning home-run in the World Series. I didn’t throw a perfect game in my last ever start, nor do I mentor some bonus-baby with a million-dollar-arm and two-cent head so he can mature and make it to the big leagues. And I promise you that I don’t end up playing catch with my dad in an Iowa cornfield at the end of this either. " So Begins Kenny Beck's tale as he follows the dream of every every young boy, who hopes one day to play in the "Big" leagues. Even though his was a short-lived career, it taught Kenny a great deal about life and left him with the satisfaction of not saying "I wish I could play baseball in the big leagues," but "When I played in the big leagues."



Pretzles!
This recipe can be made into long bread sticks
or formed and shaped into pretzles

Ingredients

Original recipe makes 1 dozen Change Servings
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
     
  • 3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups bread flour
     
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, combine yeast mixture, sugar, salt and 1 cup flour; beat well. Beat in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a stiff dough is formed. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in volume.
  3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
  4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 pieces. Roll pieces out into long sticks and form into pretzel shape. Place pretzels on prepared baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with kosher salt.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment