The Writers Bloc Anthology II
Eastern Shore Life and Lure is the second anthology from the members of the Writers Bloc, an Eastern Shore Writers Group. Eastern Shore Life and Lure is a panorama of both fact and fiction, much like the Eastern Shore’s past.
Heroes and villains, rich and poor, all have their parts to play in this sampling of tales from the Writers Bloc of the Eastern Shore.
Margaret Adkins's Crab Cakes
Original recipe makes 8 crab cakes Change Servings
If you've been lucky with the crab net and have leftover crabs to pick out, you canmake a lot of these, and freeze them on a cookie sheet, then store them in freezer bags and take out just as many as you need to fry per meal .
- 1/3 cup tablespoons Ritz Cracker Crumbs
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, or to taste
- 1/3 cup grated red or green peppers from the garden
- 1/2 sm. onion grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 pound cooked crabmeat, flaked
- Lard for for frying *
*Health conscious folks can fry these in vegetable oil, but Mama always used Lard and if you try it you will understand why.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the Ritz crumbs, mustard, mayonnaise, egg and parsley until well blended. Fold in the crabmeat. Form into 3 inch patties.
- Heat the lard about 1/2 in. deep in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. There should be enough to reach half way up the sides of the crab cakes. When the fat is hot, carefully place the patties in the pan. Fry until golden brown on each side, about 8 minutes per side. If patties are browning too fast, reduce the heat. Drain on paper towels, and serve immediately.