Lydia was burned out by her work as a midwife until destiny called her to be an aid to the birth of Jesus. A moving, beautifully-written book about a witness to one of the most important periods in religious history.
ISBN 1-59431-177-3 Historical/ Inspiration/ Christianity/ Fictional Biography
Ugly Cookies (Santa's Favorite!)
For years I made pretty tree-shaped, star-shaped, wreath-shaped, cookies sprinkled with glittery sugar toppings. Then I discovered this recipe and the pretty cookies all got left on the plate as my 3rd grader said, "Hey Mom, you got any more of these ugly cookies? Santa must have agreed, because they are the only ones he ate, too.
They're the best.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 bag chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in oats.
- Preheat the oven to 355 degrees F . Grease cookie sheets. Drop the dough into spoon-sized balls, and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.