Slow Cooker Beef and Beer
- 3 to 4 pounds top sirloin roast
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large potatoes, cut in 1 to 2-inch cubes
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 large Vidalia onion, chopped, 1 1/2 to 2 cups
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth
- 1 can beer
PreparationTrim the roast and cut into bite-size pieces. In a food storage bag, combine the flour, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tsp coriander, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add the beef cubes and toss to coat.
Put potatoes, carrots, and celery in the slow cooker; top with half of the onions. Sprinkle with remaining salt, pepper, and coriander. Top with the browned beef then the remaining onions.
Combine the condensed soup and beer; pour half the beer into the hot pan and scrape up any browned bits. Pour the pan contents and remaining beer and broth mixture over the beef.
Cover and cook on LOW heat for 8 to 10 hours, or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
Serves 6 to 8.
While this cooks slowly, you will
have plenty of time to read the book!