Arbiter Series, Vol. 1 By Matthew L. Schoonover
The first in a series of supernatural police procedurals.
Agustus Pilot, a detective assigned to Special Services, is not a new kid on the block. in fact, he’s an Arbiter, a supernatural being assigned to solve any paradox between God and Satan for the disposition of contested souls. He’s not your average cop. These aren’t your average criminals.
Mushroom and Brie Pizza
Mushroom and Brie Pizza with Whole Wheat Beer Crust **
** While the following dough is very good, to be honest I quite often cheat by preparing the filling and using a frozen pizza crust.
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 3/4 C warm darker beer (about 115 degrees) (I used Harpoon Oktoberfest)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 + 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
For the Pizza Dough
- 1/2 large onion, thin sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tbsp dark beer (I used Harpoon Oktoberfest) plus a tad bit more for the mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 3.5oz package of shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 4oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 tbsp flat leaf parsley
- 1/4lb brie cheese, cut into small pieces
- Kosher salt and ground pepper
For the pizza
- Place the warm beer and the yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let stand until foamy.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat and all purpose flours
- Add the salt, 1/2 C flour mixture and olive oil to the beer/yeast mixture. Mix with the dough hook until well blended.
- Add the remaining flour about 1/2 C at a time and knead for 8-10 minutes. Due to using whole wheat flour, you may need to add a little more liquid to the dough. Do this slowly as you do not want to add to much and make the dough sticky.
- Place dough in a oiled bowl and cover. Allow to rise 1-2 hours or until double in size.
- Place the dough ball on a floured surface and roll into a 12 inch circle.
- Press into the bottom and partway up the sides of a 10 inch cast-iron skillet.
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and saute the onions and rosemary until the onions are tender. Add the beer and simmer until the beer evaporates. Place onions in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan, season with salt and pepper and saute the mushrooms and shallots until tender. Add a little beer and cook until it evaporates. Mix in the parsley.
- Brush the prepared pizza dough with olive oil. Top with sauteed onions, then mushroom mixture and then top with the brie cheese. Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes.
For the dough
For the pizza