Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Trouble with story moving too slow--writing tip






Finlay was the recognized heir to the throne of eleventh century
 Alba, then the king began a plot to install his grandson, Duncan. 


Question: A friend keeps saying my books "move too slow."  I have to tell the story, don't I? So how can I make things move quicker? 

Answer:  Technically this is known as the "pace" of the story.  When a story moves too slowly, the reader can become impatient. Problems with pace usually come if there are too many plot elements (more than three major obstacles), if the dialogue strays from the point, or if there is too much explanation of action.

When I first started to write I had a lot of problems trusting the reader to understand what I had meant. I would explain what I meant time and again.  It took a long time, before I learned to leave those explanations out. But I did learn to search my ms. for words like "and" and "because" and "to" and "So" and to eliminate the clause they opened (the explanations) unless they offered some New information.

No comments:

Post a Comment