Thursday, July 29, 2010

Revision - writing tip

Sometimes, I use a method I call "layering." That is, I write in layers, concentrating on one thing at a time and going through the material several times with a single objective in mind. This method works for me. It might not work for you, but if it does, help yourself to the idea.

My usual practice is to write the first draft hot -- slash and burn straight through to the end of the story or scene -- not stopping for anything. Then I go back and layer in every image I can think of. I'm only working on images at this point. Show, show, show, show, show!

Then I go back again and cut prepositional phrases.

Then I go back again and rewrite the transitions, and end of scene hooks, to make sure I've not left out anything important. I have a one-track mind and sometimes that jumps the track. I can't think of everything all at once. Thank goodness, in writing, we don't have to.

1 comment:

  1. Arline, thanks for writing this. Lately I've been writing so fast and so much that I haven't want to slow myself down with description. That's new to me. I used to make myself write it all at once, no matter how burdensome that was. Ever since I read your blog, I hear your voice in the back of my head saying that's okay, that I'm not really taking the easy way out. Now I'm looking forward to going back and layering in the description. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete